View Poll Results: How many words does your macaw say?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 or 2 words

4 25.00%
  • 2-5 words

4 25.00%
  • 5-10 words

4 25.00%
  • 10-25 words

9 56.25%
  • He/She knows five languages

2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

How big is your macaws vocabulary?

This is a discussion on How big is your macaws vocabulary? within the Macaw Chat forums, part of the Welcome to Macawboard category; How big is your macaws vocabulary? Choose more than one answer if you have more than one macaw....

Macawnutz is offline Senior Member

Default How big is your macaws vocabulary?

How big is your macaws vocabulary?

Choose more than one answer if you have more than one macaw.
    Last edited by Macawnutz; 02-16-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Signature by MacawPower58

Big Blues is offline Senior Member

What if your bird only knows 2 languages?
    Macawnutz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blues View Post
    What if your bird only knows 2 languages?
    That would fall under "over 25 words" You could list that under he/she knows five languages.

Rosie says 2 words, Sakie 2 as well. Volar is just over 10.

Korbel says about 5 if you include his whistles, Maui is about 20

WingedVictory is offline Support Staff

Victory knows a lot of words and phrases, we have never counted them to be exact. He likes to sing old McDonald has a farm with all the animal sounds. Vic always acknowledges us when we come into his area with hi, hello, what's up. He speaks very very clear, several of the others try and mimic his talking and singing.
    Macawnutz and hankmacaw like this.

James Benstine is offline Senior Member

Patty's still just a baby, but 3 words (recognizable) isn't bad at all.
    Macawnutz likes this.

2horse is offline Moderator

Jozi only really hi, hello, and some sounds. He actually talks softly like a girl, in a fairly high pitched sweet voice.
    Banjo I have not counted but entire conversations, a lot more if she cant see me. She can talk softly a good 10 minutes without much repeating. Favorite loud and clear is hello in a few voices, mama, and come here. Best talkers here is a budgie and a teil, but they not a macadile type.
    Macawnutz and James Benstine like this.
    Angie

Banjo & Jozi b&g
    Peanut sun conure extraordinaire and friends.

Karen is offline Support Staff

I was just thinking about the rhyme and reason of their vocabulary last night. In all the years the birds have been here they have never said "Good Night", '
    "Nite Nite", "G'nite", "Nitey Nite", "Bye", "See You", "Be Right Back", or "Be Back Soon" despite me saying some version of it several times to each of them every night and each time I leave. They do not reciprocate any departures.

But, they know and will say "Hi", "Hiya", "Hey", "Hi, how are you?", and "Hello" in several different voices and volumes, from a whisper to a yell repeatedly. And to repeat one of Kady's favorite sayings: "What's up with that?"

Both the birds, ONE time, have each said, HELLO PETER when they first came here. So there was a Peter at some time in their life.

Kita only says a few things, Hi, Hello, C'mere.

Kady comes out with the darndest things and most times he uses his sentences in context with something he sees or hears. He's a little obnoxious or bit confused with his "Is that Gooooodddd?" and "Uh Oh!" which he will say to me right after he bites me! He cracks me up.
    Here's some of the things I can remember right now that he says;
    Ouch!
    C'mere
    Whatcha doin?
    What?
    What's up with that?
    What the heck is that?
    Want some?
    Uh Oh
    Want somethin'
    Is that gooooodddddd?
    Is that good? (the less dramatic version)
    You OK?
    Please
    I Love You
    Hi
    Hello
    Hiya
    Hey
    Oh my God

Wow, Kady does say a lot. Rosie says hello and cracker, Sakie Hello and what. They won't expand and never try. Volar mimics Echo so I have tons of things. Hello, Hi, Hola, Bye, and Bye Bye. I love you, does kisses, says goodnight Volar, He does animal sounds, LOL a sheep a rooster and a chicken. He says stop it when someone screams.

Korbel kisses and whistles, says HI and step up, well "Korbel step up" ( thats my husband ) and he says yum yum.

Maui is my WOW talker but he likes to pick up anything that is Louder or said often. Mow Mow ( is his nick name ) he says it all the time. Maui, stop it, knock it off, enough, get down, nice nice, hey baby, Hi, Korbel, want spray, step up, No no, what, and I'm missing a few I think. I love how he uses them as if Korbel is doing things. "Korbel knock it off" "Korbel get down" "Korbel nice nice" ...... It's both of them

I could say "I love you" or "sweet baby" a thousand times a day and nothing.... Bet if I yelled it twice he would say it. "I LOVE YOU"
    James Benstine and Karen like this.

gypsy is offline Senior Member

I am on a IPod here and accidentally hit the multiple language. Merlin use to have a large vocabulary when he was younger. Now not so much.

I was reading that two things influence talking which are tone and birds pick up words from each other. It was said the higher the pitch, like a girl's, the bird was more likely to pick up additional words. I am hoping Merlin will learn more when my nape shares the same room because her vocabulary is larger.
    Last edited by gypsy; 02-17-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Macawnutz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast